It takes a Village of Love to Raise a Child… Welcome to
The Village of Love!
Village of Love Canada supports Kijiji Cha Upendo (Swahili for Village of Love) in Kenya. This is a grassroots cooperative of families in the slum community of Kibera who, despite their own extreme poverty, care for children orphaned by HIV/AIDS. They do this simply out of the love in their hearts!
These orphan caregivers are strong, determined, courageous people, who need a hand-up rather than a hand-out.
What We Do
We support children in the families that love them through providing the following:
- MICRO-LOANS. We empower orphan caregivers to feed their children through their own enterprise by providing small business micro-loans along with training.
- EDUCATION. We raise funds to send all the children to school.
- FOOD. We provide emergency food to ensure that no family goes hungry.
- COMMUNITY HEALTH. We promote health and safety through community workshops on HIV/AIDS and gender issues.
Answers to a Few FAQ’s
We are not…
- We are not an adoption agency. Village of Love orphaned children are already in loving Kenyan families.
- We are not a foster care organization. No one is paid to love children.
- We are not an orphanage. We support children to be raised within the families who have taken them in and who already love them, to avoid their being abandoned again onto the streets or to end up in an institutional setting.
- Village of Love is not a geographical village. It is a group of orphan caregivers in Kibera who cooperate for mutual support in caring for orphaned children.
Kijiji Cha Upendo (Village of Love) is registered as a Community Based Organisation, Registration No. 11849 under the Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Services of the Government of Kenya.
Village of Love Canada operates as part of the Canada Africa Partnership on AIDS (CAP/AIDS Network), registered with the Canada Revenue Agency, #88898 7500 RR0001.